Sunday, May 22, 2011

I just got a compost bin!


While taking a break today from Zipcar at the Kenton Street Fair, I stopped by a tent called "Sustainability Now" and bought myself a compost bin! It's pretty cool. A quarter of the bin was produced from recycled plastic and compared to China it was locally produced in Canada. Thanks to its useful handle, I used it as a basket to collect some literature at various tents about sustainable projects and ideas from around Portland. When I got back to my dorm, I saw my floor RA in the common area making carrot juice for everyone. I asked for some but the machine she was grinding the carrots with was starting to malfunction. Once we took the lid off, we discovered the grinder was nearly full to the brim with carrot pulp. My RA proceeded to sigh, "If only I had a compost bin". Ian to the rescue! I retrieved my new compost bin and put it to use just hours after purchasing it. The bin is completely full of grainy carrot mass. We tried making small snowmen (I guess in this case carrotmen) out of the stuff. Tomorrow morning I will dump out the compost in my dining hall. I'm glad that my compost bin can be of good use from day one!

No comments:

Post a Comment